Sunday, October 10, 2010

LGBT - not the only trial

I keep reading about how people are angry about what Pres. Packer said. My question is, how much does anyone really know why people become Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual (LGBT)?
From my experience, doing social work, reading studies, ect. it seems that many people who I have met that are LGBT have experienced some form of sexual abuse, neglect, or some other need unfulfilled at a crucial point in their life. These events that did not meet their needs led them to question many different things in life. What I've noticed from the people who I have asked, many who have same sex attraction experienced some kind of negative emotional/traumatic situation which triggers these feelings of sexual confusion or aggravates questions about sexuality. Rebellion, I've also noticed, is another influence why some people choose to become LGBT. Family experience, plays a major role. This is why the church preaches SO much on why family is so important. Might I add, that other trials result from sexual abuse, neglect, and other unfulfilled need such as; pornography, drug addiction, self esteem issues, engaging in promiscuous sex, and MANY other issues.

Keep in mind, I am NOT saying that just because someone has had a bad experience means that there is always an extreme outcome.
If there were only 2 things I could rid from this world it would be sexual predators and drugs. We find these issues in every religion, race, gender, and culture.
I'm not saying that people who are LGBT are weak or entirely victimized. I also do not claim to be an expert on this topic. I think what i'm trying to say is stop getting on Pres. Packers back. He is trying to say there IS hope for anyone who practices anything contrary to any of commandments of God.

Dress!

Dress!
Buttons down the back